Working with a local real estate agent can offer many benefits. Some may be tempted to steer clear of working with a realtor to save money and handle the purchase and/or sale themselves. Although this may appear to be a great way to save some money while selling or buying a home, it can actually lead to some issues down the line and often end up costing more money and trouble than it is worth. Our experts at The Woolcott Team have taken some time to look closer at the benefits of working with a local realtor and the truth about not working with one.
Read on for more information.
The Benefits of Working with a Local Realtor
When you work with a real estate agent, they are on your team. With vast experience in the industry, they are there to help you navigate through what can be a very confusing and overwhelming transaction and process. They can help you truly understand each step of the process and protect your best interests. At the end of the day, your real estate agent is here to help you make the most informed and strategic decision while buying and/or selling real estate.
The fact of the matter is, as a buyer, you aren’t paying your real estate agent directly. The realtor earns money through the commission of the sale. In saying that, the many services that a local real estate agent offers, combined with experience and expertise, often makes the price worthwhile.
Your realtor can provide assistance in the following areas:
- Acquiring appraisals, home inspections, and contractors when required
- Advisement of legal options
- Securing financing
- Negotiating on your behalf
- Structuring and presenting your offer to the buyer and/or seller
- Arranging property showings with you or on your behalf
- Navigating neighbourhoods
- Saving time by presenting only the homes that fit your needs and/or budget
- Identifying and steering clear of potential problem houses
- Staging your home and interior/exterior photography and videography
Above all, your real estate agent can give you an expert’s perspective of local real estate values, taxes, utility costs, services, amenities, and so much more. For example, if a certain area has a high risk for flooding or crime.
The Reality of Not Working with a Real Estate Agent
When buying and/or selling a home, you are entering a legal agreement. When you do so without the guidance and expertise of a real estate agent, you’re only working with your experience and that of the other party. This leaves room for errors, inconsistencies, mistakes, and misguided judgment.
Questions to Ask Yourself
Before making the decision to buy and/or sell without a realtor, ask yourself the following:
- Will I read all of the fine print?
- Will I do massive amounts of research?
- Will I organize my findings and apply them effectively?
- Can I professionally analyze houses on the market?
- Can I professionally stage my house to sell?
- Can I acquire services, including appraisals, home inspections, and contractors?
- Can I negotiate professionally?
- Do I have the time to do all of these things on top of my regular lifestyle and workload?
Between finding the right property, completing and submitting paperwork correctly, and gaining a full understanding of the process and many steps, there is lots of room for error. By working with a real estate agent, you can avoid this altogether and leave the work to the professionals.
Losing Your Dream Home
Setting the costs and hard work aside for a moment, let’s take a look at the bigger picture. If you’re skipping working with a realtor to purchase a house, you risk missing out on your dream home. If you spend too much time focusing on a house with a potential for long-term problems or that is way out of your budget, your dream house could hit the market and sell before you even have a chance to see it.
The Woolcott Team
Acquiring the assistance of an expert is a small price to pay for such a large and monumentally impactful transaction. If you have any questions about the process of working with a local real estate agent, such as the ones from The Woolcott Team, please feel free to get in touch with us today.
Our services include:
- Marketing plans
- Free home staging
- Professional photography
- Neighbourhood expertise
- Dedicated buying and selling agents
- Air Miles Reward Miles
One of our kind and experienced team members would be more than happy to walk you through the process and help guide you toward a decision that works best for you. Not only is The Woolcott Team the #1 RE/MAX team in Burlington, but we also rank #1 in Waterdown, Flamborough and Carlisle too. Working with some of the best real estate agents is right around the corner.